Book Reviews

Special A.C.E. Stories

Online Paper (PDF)

Bids & Public Notices

NW Job Market


Special Sections


The Asian Reporter 19th Annual Scholarship & Awards Banquet -
Thursday, April 20, 2017 

Asian Reporter Info

About Us

Advertising Info.

Contact Us
Subscription Info. & Back Issues



Currency Exchange

Time Zones
More Asian Links

Copyright © 1990 - 2016
AR Home


Where EAST meets the Northwest

HIGH-ALTITUDE HELP. Masatoshi Kuriaki describes, at a friendís home in Peters Creek, Alaska, in this April 3, 2007 file photo, how he looked at the clouds over the summit of Mount Foraker to determine if the weather conditions were good for his final climb. Kuriaki, who became the first solo winter climber to conquer the 17,400-foot mountain, was rescued by helicopter this month at the 8,600-foot level of 14,573-foot Mount Hunter in Alaska. Kuriaki was uninjured, but transmitted a signal for emergency help, according to a news release from Denali National Park. He still had two days of food and three to four days of water left with him. (AP Photo/Michale Dinneen, File)

From The Asian Reporter, V26, #8 (April 18, 2016), page 9.

Japanese climber rescued from Alaska peak amid avalanche risk

TALKEETNA, Alaska (AP) ó A helicopter recently rescued an experienced Japanese climber from an Alaska mountain where spring storms had created significant avalanche risks.

Masatoshi Kuriaki, a 42-year-old climber from Fukuoka, Japan, was rescued at the 8,600-foot level of 14,573-foot Mount Hunter, Denali National Park said in a news release.

Kuriaki was uninjured, but transmitted a signal for emergency help, the park said. He had two days of food and three to four days of water left.

An Alaska Air National Guard helicopter was initially unable to approach Mount Hunter because of bad weather, and storms prevented further attempts until two days later, the news release said.

As skies cleared, a high-altitude helicopter with two Denali mountaineering rangers reached Kahiltna Glacier at noon. They picked up Kuriaki from his camp on the mountainís West Ridge climbing route and transported him in an external rescue basket to the glacier. From there, they flew back to Talkeetna.

Kuriaki was on day 75 of a solo expedition that had been planned for 65 days, according to the release.

Hideki Watanabe, director of a branch of the Japanese Alpine Club in Fukuoka who knows Kuriaki, said he was relieved the climber was safe, adding that he is not surprised that Kuriaki ditched his attempt and he must have had a reason, like weather or avalanche danger, to make that choice.

"Mr. Kuriaki has his own theory about mountaineering and safety, and he is extremely careful," Watanabe told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "He never pushes himself when he is not fully confident."

Avalanche danger was high to extreme after a storm cycle brought unusually warm and wet weather conditions, Denali Park said.

The park described Kuriaki as very experienced in solo winter expeditions in Denali Park. It said this was his 19th expedition in the Alaska Range, 17 of which were solo winter climbs. He has attempted 20,310-foot Denali four times in winter, including a successful solo ascent in 1998.

Kuriaki also made the first solo winter ascent of 17,400-foot Mount Foraker in 2007.

Read the current issue of The Asian Reporter in its entirety!
Go to <>!