|

INSIDE:
NEWS/STORIES/ARTICLES
Book Reviews
Columns/Opinion/Cartoon
Films
International
National
NW/Local
Recipes
Special A.C.E. Stories
Sports
Online Paper (PDF)
CLASSIFIED SECTION
Bids & Public Notices
NW Job Market
NW RESOURCE GUIDE
Archives
Consulates
Organizations
Scholarships
Special Sections
Upcoming
Asian Reporter Info
About Us
Advertising Info.
Contact Us
Subscription Info. & Back
Issues
ASIA LINKS
Currency Exchange
Time Zones
More Asian Links
Copyright © 1990 - 2016
AR Home
| |
| |
| |
|
|
|
 |
NEWS: Northwest | National | International
|
|
From The Asian Reporter, V22, #12 (June 18, 2012), page 2. |
|
| Iconic ‘napalm girl’ photo turns 40 |
| (AP) The Vietnam War had been raging for years. On June 8, 1972, a single photo communicated the horrors of the fighting in a way words could never describe, helping to end one of the most divisive conflicts in American history. Huynh Cong "Nick" Ut heard a little girl’s screams and couldn’t turn away. In the time of film and darkrooms, the 21-year-old Vietnamese photographer didn’t know the power of the image he had just taken, but he knew what he had to do. He drove the badly burned child to a small hospital. There, he was told she was too far gone to help. But Nick flashed his American press badge, demanded that doctors treat the girl, and left assured that she would not be forgotten. In the Pulitzer Prize-winning image, children run screaming from a burning Vietnamese village. The little girl in the center of the frame, Kim Phuc, is naked and crying, her clothes and layers of skin melted away by napalm. "I cried when I saw her running," said Ut, whose older brother was killed on assignment with The AP in the southern Mekong Delta of Vietnam. Now, four decades later, Nick Ut and Kim Phuc remain close. "I knew in my dream that one day Uncle Ut could help me to have freedom," said Phuc, referring to him by an affectionate Vietnamese term. "Most of the people, they know my picture, but there’s very few that know about my life," Kim Phuc said. "I’m so thankful that ... I can accept the picture as a powerful gift. Then it is my choice. Then I can work with it for peace." Said Ut, who still works for AP and recently returned to Trang Bang village: "Today, I’m so happy I helped Kim. I call her my daughter." |
|
| Malaysian ‘WWW1’ license plate sells for $165K |
| KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — The World Wide Web inspired a bidding war in Malaysia — on license plates. When the prefix "WWW" became available on the Southeast Asian country’s plates, more than 18,000 people submitted bids. The Road Transport Department said that the most coveted plate, "WWW1," sold for a record $165,600 to Malaysian royal state leader Sultan Ibrahim Ismail. The constitutional leader of Malaysia’s southern Johor state is reputedly a car enthusiast. Officials estimate the successful WWW bids will earn the transport department $3.6 million. The previous highest sum paid for a license plate in Malaysia was $95,600 in 2010 for MCA1, the acronym for a national political party. |
|
| South Korean high-speed railway to shorten travel time |
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea has begun building a promised high-speed railway to shorten travel time between its main airport and the venue of the 2018 Winter Olympics. The promise last year helped the eastern resort of Pyeongchang win the right to host the Olympics. South Korea expects the railway to help reduce travel time between Incheon International Airport in the west and Pyeongchang to one hour. The organizing committee for the games said in a statement that construction will end in 2017 and cost $3.35 billion. The new railway links Wonju in the west of Gangwon province and Gangneung in the east and includes a stop in Pyeongchang. The committee said President Lee Myung-bak attended a groundbreaking ceremony in Gangneung. |
|
| Vietnam executions on hold over drug shortage |
HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Vietnamese state media says a shortage of the drug used in lethal injections has halted the execution of hundreds of prisoners on death row. Tuoi Tre newspaper quoted vice public security minister Dang Van Hieu as saying that the executions of more than 400 death-row prisoners have not been able to go ahead over the past year due to the shortage of the drug. The report did not name the drug, but said it had to be imported. Hieu said this "proved to be difficult." Vietnam changed its execution method from firing squad to lethal injection last July, but no inmates have been executed since. |
|
| Nissan to supply New York cabs |
YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) — Nissan is supplying New York City with fuel-efficient cabs, including six electric cars for testing, but acknowledged uncertainties about the ongoing war over charging standards for electric vehicles. Nissan Motor Co. said its gasoline engine NV200 vehicles, painted yellow, will start operating as New York taxis in October 2013. Six Leaf electric vehicles will be part of a pilot program this year. Nissan executive vice president Andy Palmer said it’s unclear whether nations will adopt the "CHAdeMo" standard used by Nissan for charging electric vehicles, or the competing one backed by General Motors Co. and others. The standards use different plugs and aren’t compatible. |
|
| Woman faces caning in Singapore for graffiti |
SINGAPORE (AP) — Police in Singapore say a 25-year-old woman has been arrested for painting graffiti and placing stickers on public property. If convicted, she could be beaten with a cane. Graffiti and other forms of vandalism are very rare in Singapore. Almost all past cases have involved foreign men, including American teenager Michael Fay, who was caned in 1994. Police did not identify the woman or her nationality in the statement. They said if found guilty of vandalism, she faces mandatory caning and a fine or jail term. The paintings and stickers were cryptic messages written mostly in the local English dialect. The statement said police take "a serious view of such irresponsible actions" and they will be "dealt with severely." |
|
| Father of slain Tiananmen protester kills hims |
| BEIJING (AP) — The father of a man killed in the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown has hanged himself after two decades of failed attempts to seek government redress. A support group for parents of the crackdown’s victims said 73-year-old Ya Weilin’s body was found in an unused underground parking garage below his residential complex. Zhang Xianling, a member of the group, says Ya killed himself out of despair and to protest the government’s long-standing refusal to address the grievances of the relatives of the victims. His death came about a week ahead of the anniversary of June 3 and 4, 1989, when the Chinese military crushed the weekslong, student-led protests, possibly killing thousands of students, activists, and ordinary citizens. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
From The Asian Reporter, V22, #12 (June 18, 2012), page 2. |
|
|
|
|
From The Asian Reporter, V22, #11 (June 4, 2012), page 4 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|